Tanner’s "not so" new furniture

So in my previous post about Tanner’s room remodel and how I’m finally getting around to doing it, I forgot to mention that one of the reasons it has taken me so long is because I couldn’t make a decision on what I wanted to do with his room. Do we want to splurge on new furniture or keep the old for now? What colors do we want to do, etc, etc. So, after painting the final three walls to complete the entire 4 walls, I made a decision to try and paint a current very old and ugly dresser that we got from an aunt four years ago (Sorry Aunt Bev). I always thought we would get rid of them as soon as we moved or got new stuff for the little man, but I’ve had a current change of heart. After researching numerous tutorials online on painting furniture I once again ran to Home Depot to gather my supplies. Since Mike was out of town last week I thought it would be the perfect project for me to make the time go quickly until he came home. And a project it was. Luckily we had some very unseasonble hot temps so after I put the kids down for naps each day I would head out to the garage, music on and doors up. Finally, after 4 nap periods, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint (4 total coats), we finally had a “not so” new, but much prettier dresser sure to please the little guy. However, although it took me lots of coats, it was super easy and a “no brains” project.

Here’s the rundown…

Here’s what the dresser matched before I painted it. This is the complimentary dresser (oh yea, there’s 2:)…hideous right?

Here it is all painted and purdy:)

I did roll the paint on the large piece, and brushed each drawer. If you are going to roll on furniture I read a tutorial where they suggested using a small foam roller, which is what I did. Roll it slowly to prevent bubbles. The effect won’t be as smooth as brushing, I can clearly see the difference between the dresser and drawers,(only up close though) but you won’t have brush marks, so it’s a personal preference.

I used this primer stuff that the paint lady told me would stick to anything and I wouldn’t have to sand. Done.

Then, I used the same paint color that I used on his striped wall and had her mix it in this little can of interior semi-gloss paint to make the dresser look a little shiny. The paint color is Behr Paint’s “Luster white”. I am also painting a little nightstand with the same color and still have almost a half can of each left, so it goes a long way.

Lesson learned: Thin coats are better than thick gloppy ones, and once I brushed paint on, if I went over it more than a couple times or after a min it would clump. That pretty much irritated the heck out of me.

Hopefully, I inspired some of ya’ll to paint a dresser for your home. It’s super easy and is an inexpensive way to dress up some old furniture without buying new.

Total spent: (lost my receipt so I’m estimating)

Dresser- FREE
Foam roller- $5ish
small can of primer- $6is
small can of paint- $6ish
= $17

I had a gift card to Home Depot so this was a free project for me!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: